224, which had been established in 1874, the Ladies Hebrew Benevolent Society established in 1870, and the Hebrew Benevolent Society were by this time insufficient to meet the needs of a new era.
The high percentage of Jews coming west for their health made the establishment of medical institutions the first order of communal business.
The Kaspare Cohn Hospital gradually transformed itself into a general hospital.
Jews lost their places in the Blue Book, the local social register, which in 1890 listed 44 Jews, 22 in 1921, and in recent years, no discernible Jews.Services were held in various rented and borrowed places until the first synagogue was built in 1873 at 273 N. Jews participated freely in every facet of social and economic as well as communal life.From 1850 until 1880 one or two Jews continuously served as elected officials. Hellman and Henry Huntington became the two financial giants of southern California.In 1926 it moved to facilities on Fountain Street near Vermont Avenue, and was renamed the Cedars of Lebanon Hospital. They typified the local Jewish leadership, to whom philanthropy was central in Jewish community life. Silberberg succeeded the Newmarks and the Hellmans.The first meeting of the Federation of Jewish Charities was held in 1912 with Ben R. The first decade of the 20 overseas needs began to assume a large role in the philanthropy of the Jewish community. In 1937 the United Jewish Community was incorporated as the Los Angeles Jewish Community Council, with the United Jewish Welfare Fund as its fund-raising arm.